Justice for Farmworkers Campaign
Grapes at the Table
Pindar Wines needs to come to the bargaining table with farmworkers
Background: The workers at Pindar Vineyards on Long Island are the first farmworkers in New York State to unionize. They voted to join their union, Local 338 RWDSU/UFCW, in 2020, which is a part of Agricultural Workers United, and have been working towards their first contract ever since. The union is asking that Pindar Vineyards enter mediation in order to complete a fair contract and give the workers. Pindar is refusing to negotiate
Why is this critical? It took us, through the Justice For Farmworkers Campaign, over twenty years to get the Farm laborer Fair Labor Practices Act passed in 2019. This removed an exclusion that went back over seventy years to the New Deal, when farmworkers were excluded from protection when bargaining collectively in New York. Now they have that right. If the Pindar workers are successful in negotiating a contract it will send a powerful message to farmworkers across the State that they to can organize & form a union to improve conditions.
You are essential to this struggle Farmworkers have always needed and appreciated allies who join them in their quest for justice. Allies were essential in the grape boycotts of the California vineyards. Now we are being asked to return and support vineyard workers in New York
- In the spirit of Cesar Chavez, the grape workers of Pindar vineyards need you to stand Vigil with them for two hours on a weekend day in November. Come stand with the Trabajadores Agricolas Unidos and Rural & Migrant Ministry
- Get in touch with Maria Del Mar at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a vigil slot in solidarity (We will then give you more logistical details)
- Who you are , and what congregation/organization you are a member of.
- You support the Pindar farmworkers and Local 338
- You expect Pindar Vineyards to negotiate in good faith and immediately
- You can only purchase Pindar wines if they are a union label.
- Best numbers to call Pindar:
- (631) 734-6200 – Tasting Room and Winery (North Fork)
- (631) 734-6200 ext. 104 – Direct Contact Number
- (631) 331-7070 – Port Jefferson Pindar Wine Store 117 Main St Port Jefferson NY 11777
Please pass this on to others. We need hundreds of people reaching out.
Support our Campaign: https://ruralmigrantministry.org/donate-rmm
(For more information call Rural & Migrant Ministry at 845-485-8627)